Wednesday, June 13, 2007

SUMMER SCHOOL

The second of a planned three stops on my world tour of the greatest national universities has commenced. Behold, my student ID for National Taiwan University:


I am still totally freaking out about it. I pull this out every so often just to marvel at the strangeness of how things turn out -- I am going to the best school in Taiwan dudes! -- as well as to remind myself of how far I've come. I can sort of feel the logic of the grammar taking over my brain but I have been assured that much is also happening at an unconscious level (or at least that is my excuse for watching a whole lot of Chinese television). For now though, there is the daily frustration of sometimes understanding very little. My Chinese teachers in Indiana were able to confine their speech mostly to words and patterns we recognized and to speak at a reasonable speed. But here, I am faced with rapid fire homonyms that I sometimes understand nothing from, even in the simplest transactions. It is extraordinarily demoralizing and infantilizing.

Last night I saw a room I really liked for sublet. It's on the fifth floor in a really nice area, down a quiet alley, very convenient for school, and has a rooftop garden. I hope they choose me! As much as I appreciate my current landlord stopping by at 10pm to check on me and to bring a gift of rice and herring snacks, the room I am in now is windowless and rather musty and the bed appears to be made of straw. [UPDATE: I got the new room, but won't move for another two weeks. Still, yeah!]

This weekend is the dragon boat festival. I'm not really sure what it involves, because everytime I ask someone about it they insist on feeding me a zongzi, the festival's traditional snack. Needless to say, I am concerned that it may not involve actual dragons.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid to ask "what is zongzi"?

YogaLia said...

I think YOU'RE supposed to dress like the dragon. Seriously. I know this stuff.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if when they say "dragon" it is the same as when in Mexico they say "Mexican Chili"? Be careful with that one!

erika said...

aunt gretchen:
It's delicious! They stuff a bunch of goodies in bamboo leaves and then steam it. If the link doesn't work try cutting and pasting this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zongzi

lia:
Oh my god! of course!!! I'll get right on it.

vanessa:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for "dragon chili"

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your student id!

Unknown said...

I find that when living in a country whose language you are trying to master, television is totally your best friend. I remember whiling away many a sunday afternoon in front of the telly, having thoughts like: "A-ha! That's how you say 'I've been looking for you!'" Television also taught me how to order a shlitz malt liquor in portuguese.

Anonymous said...

Television, beer, dragons, and rice snacks... Japan sounds rad!

Anonymous said...

Archie says to bring back some herring snack for him.

johnO said...

Okay, this is great, but when do you capture the sneezing panda?

erika said...

jessica:
Thank you -- I was feeling a little guilty about watching tv, especially since I have been watching mostly soap operas where they don't talk so damn fast as on the news.

montana:
Indeed, or as they say here, ok ya!

georgia:
No problem. Do you think he would like some cooked innards from the night market too?

john:
Patience my dear. Apparently the herring snacks won't work to lure him so I will have to find another way.