Thursday, February 14, 2008

SHANGHAI (上海) PHOTOGRAPHICAL SPECTACULAR

I'm back in Beijing now, where the streets still run red with the refuse of spent fireworks. Shanghai was beautiful and the teensiest bit warmer.
There were even times when I could stroll along the riverfront gazing at the space-age skyline of the Pudong (and the floating LED billboards) with neither hat nor scarf!
I have a deep affection for this city, which made a very strong impression on me the first time I visited, but I've still got family in town and don't have the time to wax poetic about my love of the place. What follows are a few pictures and choppy details that I might embellish later.

The skyscraper to the immediate left of the Aurora building (seen below) will be the new tallest building in the world when it is finished (sadly trumping the marvelous Taipei 101). One night we had cocktails on the 87th floor of the skyscraper right next to it. In a word, swank.
Another view from a river cruise with the Oriental Pearl TV tower in the foreground.
On the opposite side of the river, new Shanghai rises behind the comparatively tiny but still grand buildings of "the Bund".
I installed my charges at the Astor Hotel on the northern end of the Bund, having reserved Einstein's room, where the great scientist spent a few nights in 1922.
The lobby:
Carrie and I had stayed in the old servants quarters' on the top floor of the Astor a few years ago but as they have since been upgraded, I removed myself to a nearby hostel which more closely matched my means, and, um, revolutionary fervor.
Shanghai is so pretty. Everywhere you look there are grand boulevards and ambitious architecture. One skyscraper (not pictured) looks just like Saruman's tower.
This scale model of the city of 15 million gives some sense of its enormity. Also, it really makes you feel like godzilla must before he gets his stomp on: WANT TO CRUSH WANT TO CRUSH!
The old part of the city is well-preserved and lively, with some nice quiet temples.
And the museum is absolutely stellar.
You'd expect some good ceramics from a country which got its English name from the plates it produced, and in the Shanghai Museum you'll get them. This is my favorite pattern.
Some people like Blue Willow or Lenox Rose, but I'm putting Peaches & Bats in my hope chest.

3 comments:

marxiano said...

Beautiful, I wanna go. Say hi to your family

Anonymous said...

Peaches and Bats made some smooooth music back in the late 70's. What a sensational duo.

I'd always assumed that the plates were named after the country and not vice versa. So I guess I learned something today.

Anonymous said...

WANT TO GO! WANT TO GO! (Love you!)(Miss you!)
wear your hat and scarf! don't take money from pandas!