


It is true that I had heard about it, and also that I had experienced the last few weeks of nightly crackle and sparkle ever since the firecracker booth set up shop around the corner, but nothing had prepared me for the lunacy of the New Year fireworks displays. Starting just after dark and continuing well after midnight, there were constant explosions in the yards of all the complexes around ours as well as dozens visible along the horizon. Mind you, these were all private displays, nothing orchestrated or subsidized by the city. I don't know who had the great idea to allow unregulated sales of explosives in a newly wealthy country with a cultural devotion to displays of status, but it is on their conscience that the loss of countless fingers and eyeballs now rests. Behold the warzone viewable from my bedroom window:Lunar New Year Fireworks from Le Kougre on Vimeo.
5 comments:
That's insane.
neato. too bad it is not the first weeks of of rat year every day!
Holy incredible Batman! that is pretty awesome. Are you sure you are not living in Awesometown?
If you were living in Awesometown I would elect you to be the mayor.
I just hear Maktub playing at Banana Republic. In their defensive, I asked and they use satellite radio and in my defense, I was returning something , not buying anything. But I did have a worlds collide kind of feeling!
No wonder everyone has to wear a respiratory mask...
I just got your postcard and I think you are the coolest chick ever. Will you please send me your address so I can reciprocate?
Post a Comment