This semester I've had my four hour block of classes from 8am to 12am, which means I can go home for lunch. In the past, I've usually packed lunch more than half the time, but I still eat in the canteen about once a week. Cafeteria food in China is heavily subsidized and so the meals are extremely cheap, even by China standards. They are also served on a familiarly vast scale. Tsinghua claims to house the biggest student dining hall in Asia, and boasts that the school's canteens provide meals to 35,000 people daily. Of course I'm not entirely sure I should trust these statistics, coming as they do from a newsletter which states:
"Chicken cubes with peanuts, braised pork joint, cabbage with sweet and sour sauce, uncongealed bean curd -- these are just a few of the hundreds of delicious dishes you can enjoy in one of Tsinghua's student canteens..."This is the biggest cafeteria I've been to on campus and one of the closest to my school. I don't know that this picture captures the enormity of the place, which easily seats hundred of students and faculty.
Number 7 cafeteria has a real barracks feel. They serve the legendary carrot dumplings here.
The following meal is from one of the classier (and pricier) cafeterias on campus, dubbed "wan ren (万人)", or '10,000 people' in reference to its multiple floors of food dispensing facilities.
Marinated cucumbers, rice, bag o' yogurt, and tofu.Cost: 3.6RMB (about 50 cents)
On the left is a meal you make by pointing at the items you want (in this case several kinds of greens, tofu, and glass noodles) which are placed in a metal tray and boiled for several minutes in a salty, spicy brew before being served up with a peanut-y kind of sauce. It is actually pretty tasty, but very, very salty.On the right, dumplings. They had meat in them but I ate them anyway. I love dumplings.
Cost: 3.60RMB (about 50 cents)
Also, from wan ren, salad of red cabbage, soup of spinach, egg, and glass noodles, and entree of tofu and veg (do you see a theme here?)Cost: 7.5RMB (about $1)
This was my least favorite meal of the bunch. White rice with a serving of mixed greens (plus chunks of unidentifiable animal parts) along with a serving of a traditional dish of egg and tomatoes (which tastes nothing like any American combination of eggs and tomatoes on account of the added sugar and MSG).Cost: 4.10RMB (less than 60 cents)
I shared this meal of tofu, greens, broccoli, and a heap of carrot dumplings with my classmate Jason. I don't remember how much we collectively paid for it, but I do remember that because it was shared, it was delicious.Wait, that was a lie. Mealtime with friends is pleasant indeed, but cafeteria food -- not so much.
7 comments:
FOOD FIGHT!
**all goes silent, no one in the cafeteria does anything, I am embarrassed**
Truly awesome post E to the KA. One thing I really wish we had at IU is a traditional college cafeteria. Instead we have "cafeterias" like a food court in the mall. Anyway, and this may be a silly question, but how easy is it to get horse and dog in China? Cause I would try it. Maybe. But no monkey.
My parents leave for China on Saturday.
One of my first jobs was washing dishes in a Chinese restaurant in Central Ohio. Vegetarians and vegans weren't so common in that time and place as they are in my current surroundings, but they still existed. Most of them didn't seem to realize that the tofu in their orders was fried in the same beef fat that everything else was (which makes it delicious, and also bad for you!)
So it's nice to see the cooks were just keeping with tradition and not deliberately clogging everybodies arteries (and consciences) with surreptitious animal fat out of malice. Of course the cooks never ate the stuff they served the customers anyway. I think they thought the American version of Chinese food was gross.
Your story about accidentally serving the vegans pie with lard in the crust made me remember this.
matthew:
I don't think horse is often eaten here intentionally, though I am almost certain it ends up in snack sausages. Dog is a specialty in the north (it is said to have warming qualities). I'm sure you could find it in Beijing but I think most modern urban-dwelling Chinese are just as revolted by the idea of eating dog as most Americans. They really love their little vanity pups.
On a side note, however, I just discovered that there is an ENTIRE restaurant in Beijing that serves nothing but the cock and balls of a number of animals. Wow.
flaming banjo:
It is true what they say that American Chinese food is totally different from the food you find in China. I just don't understand how the fare in the U.S. is so completely standard and yet so unlike almost anything you would eat here.
Erika you broke through the Great Firewall! Congrats! (sorry if I just didn't notice before)
Unfortunately it is just a blip -- I'm not doing anything differently but for some reason nothing has been blocked since last Friday. This happens on occasion. We don't understand the reason, but we happily take advantage of our sudden freedom to mess around on Wikipedia.
Question: How is it that my ability to access the comments prompted more of a response than the existence of an all cock n' balls restaurant? I do find the latter quite a bit more shocking...
Thanks Erika! It was an odd question, I know, but I love all the everyday differences of living in another country. It's great to have the photos to accompany, but when will the internet be scratch and sniff?
Love,
Montana
"Inciting interesting blog posts since 2008"
Post a Comment