Tuesday, April 22, 2008

COUGAR VACATION

I know, another one, huh? I'm sure my life sounds pretty tough from where you're sitting.

After school lets out tomorrow I will gather my snacks and parcels and be off to board a train with the illustrious Dan. We'll be traveling to Gansu (that's the pale blue barbell-shaped province in the North) on a volunteer trip organized by the Yale Book Club. Once there we will donate books to local libraries, spend our nights in a village homestay, teach at local elementary schools (using curriculum which, according to the information I received, is best concluded by the foreign teacher leading the children in song), and quite possibly watch dinner be slaughtered before our very eyes.

After a few days in the village, Dan, myself, and a few of the other volunteers will try to visit some nearby Tibetan monasteries. We're not sure if that's going to happen. From there, we will take a train to Urumchi, the capital of Xinjiang (the big brown province in the Northwestern-most corner), a historically vital stop on the Silk Road, and the current home of my Central Eurasian Linguist pal Eric. I haven't been this excited about a trip in years.

Will I post pictures upon my return? Indeed I will! But after that I plan to take a month-long break from blogging in order to concentrate on personal correspondence and general sanity maintenance.

It has actually been a good week, and not just because of the receipt of the universe-destroying, men's pocky containing goodness of John's and Montana's care package, or because of the frankly awesome presentation I gave in class today about how China's classification of its minority peoples was based on the Stalin-authored Soviet classification system (it's a long story). No, I am feeling good because I am finally seeing some of the language skills that I had long ago expected I would have by now. Results! Learning this language is a loooooong process, as everyone keeps reminding me, but it seems that there is so much riding on this and I am starting to lack patience.

Think of something you really like to do, but aren't necessarily very good at; something which requires patience, skills, a large time investment, and the better part of a lifetime to master; perhaps chess? the cello? building a sea monkey empire?

Now imagine pinning your hopes, dreams, and entire future on being able to do this thing and then you will understand why I need a nice long vacation, which I will relish no matter how much sing-a-longing and Yak milking it may involve.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that yak milking might just be that goal I have my sites set on. I have found it very frustrating to learn how to do this properly and on top of that, it is very hard to find a Yak to milk in San Francisco.

Anonymous said...

I don't have to imagine it, I did just that. Now I'm back in school trying to learn skills that can actually earn me money.

Hopefully the new skills won't displace the old ones in my brain.

Unknown said...

I want to come too!!