Monday, July 30, 2007

HAVE I REALLY BEEN IN JAPAN ALL THIS TIME?

It certainly felt that way when I ran across this comics convention on my campus this weekend. It seems manga is popular in Taiwan too, and that lots of kids are very into dressing up as their favorite characters. They didn't even seem to notice that it was a humid 93 degrees outside (although honestly, I've kind of stopped noticing too), because they were just too busy being absolutely adorable.

Although I preferred to get candid shots, everyone was posing and patiently having their pictures taken by the swarms of kids and handful of grown-ups armed with cameras and camera phones. I can't imagine what it was like inside the convention.

I don't know that these pictures adequately illustrate the amount of variety, but the costumes were all over the place. Historical, futuristic, sexy, sad, human, elven, triangle-headed, film-inspired, and just really, really cute. That settles it. I must be in Japan.

4 comments:

anthrok8 said...

Your blog is blog-tastic. Truly, really, just so fun to read, plus smart. And I too am in love with the anime kids. And your shoe collection. And the postcard you sent. And dragonfruit is so pretty!

Yay!

erika said...

kate! thank you for saying such nice things. Your blog (and the intelligent and attractive community that surrounds it) always inspires me to blog-forth. I wish everyone had one like it but then I would NEVER get any work done.

Anonymous said...

What is the story with that bloody bear? Did the cougar do that? Ferocious.

erika said...

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the bloody bear is a symbolic representation of the American economy in bondage to the new Asia.