Monday, July 9, 2007

我住在的地方 (WHERE I LIVE)

I've been in my new place for more than a week now. It's much closer to school, in a nice area, and best of all, not in a basement. The room itself ain't anything special, but it has a window that lets in actual air from outside, a desk, a chair, and a closet with drawers and hangers -- wonderful things, all of them.

This room is also in an apartment with a real kitchen! Just when the men at the breakfast shop were starting to be nice to me, I had to go and move to a place where I can actually prepare my own food.


The balcony off the kitchen is just for laundry. But we have another one that runs the length of the street facing side of the apartment and is full of orchids, herbs, and other plants.


Here is the living room, a place without A/C and thus rarely inhabited, except for late night rehearsals for my flatmates' bluegrass band, The Pinetop Surgeons.


The roof is right upstairs and freely accessible. It actually gets a nice breeze even when the rest of the city is sweltering. And man, there is no keeping me off of a good roof. Is it possible to have acrophilia?


That giant dome is the gym at my school, and it is only about a 10 minute walk from there to class.

Our neighbors maintain a healthy garden that takes up fully half of the roof. See how pretty!



I'm especially grateful that the collarbone police have no jurisdiction over the roof. Breeze there may be, but it is a very hot breeze. And I don't know why being around Chinese people always causes me to give myself bangs. It just does.

So hooray for the neighbors giving back a little bit of the oxygen sucked daily from the city. I would thank them, but I'm rather creeped out by what they have framed outside of their door


Uhhhhhh....

8 comments:

marxiano said...

Up on the roof! Do do, do do, do do, duh! Up on the rooooooof!

Anonymous said...

That looks far superior to the basement. A little haven can really make things better! I have a plan to send you a novella length email tonight!!! Back from New York, thank god!!

Rydo said...

What the hell is that thing on the wall? Nice pictures of you though, very serene.

Justin Beem said...

Fascinating! The Cougar's den looks pretty amazing, though I didn't see any carcasses, bones or fecal matter in the pics.. Maybe next time?

Justin Beem said...

Not Brenda... Beem.

johnO said...

I love your new place. I'm coming over...

Unknown said...

Up on the roof... Its good to see that somethings never change.

Katy Trichler nee Bradshaw

erika said...

marx:
wow. you are so in tune with youth culture! I mean - wha? did I miss something?

ryan:
they are pictures of primarily white people wearing various types of support underwear. I'll try to get a better picture. also, thanks - it must be the horse tranquilizers.

Brenda/Beem:
Is this some kind of Glen or Glenda thing or were you just using your mom's computer?
p.s. I do most of my killing outdoors, but thanks, I do like to keep a tidy den.

John:
hold on a sec- let me get some clothes on!

Katy:
welcome and thank you for totally blowing my mind with your sudden appearance! I'm glad to hear from you and I hope you and your family are all doing wonderfully.