ZEE BOAT
It may not look like much from the outside, but this little boat was gorgeous. According to our airbnb host the hull was part of a floating bridge built over the river Waal in 1857 and she was converted into a residence in the early 20th century.
Posing on the ramp
You can see her in the center here.
We were just south of this bridge. The building to the north is the Hermitage.
Not sure why the Hermitage has a Dutch location -- guess they ran out of space in St. Petersburg?
View from the bridge. There were lots of houseboats in this neighborhood, though apparently the number of houseboats in the city is capped at 3,000.
Our warmly wood-paneled kitchen
There were stained glass windows throughout.
And jerkface swans that rushed over out hopefully when we opened the windows.
Main bedroom and living room nook. The second bedroom was a traditional ship style nook just over the hull.
I really really really didn't want to get out of bed in the morning
At night we lit candles, drank wine and tea, and cuddled up to our respective digital devices like a good 21st century family.
ZEE CANAL TOUR
The audio part of the tour was painfully cheesy and sorely lacking in historical context, but the views were great, and the sun even came out for a few minutes.
In which we all manage to look like mega-dorks.
Like a Michel Gondry movie there was a scale model of the steeple inside the church itself.
View of the church from the nine streets district, just to go macro again.
EXPLORING WITH ZEE FAMILY This was the only leg of the trip that Rick could join us for so we spent most of the first day just walking around and exploring the city center before we went split off to pursue our various interests.
Rick with pigeons
Mom in clog
Nick & Rick being shameless tourists
Thanks to homing devices implanted inside us many years ago we are able to find Scientology centers anywhere in the world
I love the houses that come right up against the canals. Dream homes.
ZEE RED LIGHT DISTRICT
We didn't really set off intending to go into the red light district, but these days the place is so cleaned up that you hardly noticed you've entered it. Until you look down, that is.
Or up, I suppose.
Mostly though it's where you go to "taste culture" or to find "the place where the Chinese eat"
Another surprise for me was all the wonderful vintage shops. There were at least four or five in the nine streets district and I came across two more while walking around with mom. I might have bought 3 hats.
I have never seen such a concentration of creepy fur stoles featuring all manner of heads and paws. Yeech.
SEE. EWWWW.
I love almost nothing so much at exploring unfamiliar cities at my own pace. Happily Amsterdam has much to reward the Flaneuse.
And houseboat fantasies.
And hot dog trucks interrupting otherwise tranquil scenes.
"Nieuwe Hipstergracht" Heh heh heh.
And art nouveau bakeries
And window cats
After the cat museum (sadly closed) and the cat houseboat (sadly a total disappointment), these felines were a welcome site.
On that theme, I really need one of these signs. I like how the cat appears to be inside a Victorian-era asylum.
A window display at the American food store. Expats miss strange things.



No comments:
Post a Comment