You can take the Kougar out of China, but you can't take China out of the Kougar
Friday, March 22, 2013
POST-DISSERTATION Q & A
Q: So I hear you finished your dissertation -- wow, that's so exciting!
A: Yeah, sure [rolls eyes]. I need a job.
Q: How long was it?
A: 239 pages, weighing in at about 2 pounds and measuring 1 1/2" thick when I forgot to print it double-sided (apologies to the committee member about to receive a giant box of paper).
Q: So are you a doctor yet?
A: Nope. I still have to go back to Indiana to defend the dissertation (at the end of April), then I'll have about a month for revisions before the final submission.
Q: Yeah, yeah, details. Did you get any presents for finishing the dissertation?
A: I'm so glad you asked. I bought myself a new [refurbished] camera, with which to take more pictures of my cat.
Q: She looks like the greatest cat that has ever lived.
A: Yeah, pretty much. I also got a few wonderful packages of chocolate, Chairman Mao pins, and coloring books from friends, many well-wishes, and this amazing card from my housemate:
Q: I don't really understand that. So what did you do to celebrate?
A: What else? Mini golf.
Q: Not my first choice. Was it fun?
A: Yes indeed. The "grand heist" room was worth the price of admission alone. I've always wanted to dodge laser beams.
Besides, not many mini golf courses have lounges replete with creepy ceramic animals.
Q: What else did you do?
A: Caught up on correspondence and craft projects, daydreamed, read fiction, saw friends, and made scones, of course.
Q: Of course.
A: I also spent a pretty great day frolicking in a friend's hat collection. She gave me eight to take home. I am very excited about this.
Q: So what's next?
A: Oooh, this is the best part: next week I'm going to Denmark to give a talk, then to Berlin for a few days to see a dear old friend. And I am going to see the hell out of that Lego museum in Copenhagen. Soooo excited.
Then I have to get a job. It happens to the best of us.
Q: Youth's end?
A: Something like that. AUF WIEDERSEHEN GRADUATE STUDENT LIVING!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
Hilarious
Post a Comment