Monday, October 31, 2011

BEIJING WRAP-UP: GOODBYE TO ALL THAT

If I had my own place in Seattle now and wasn't still couch-surfing indefinitely I might not feel so homesick for the jing; I must also lay blame on Anna's powerful camera, which captures the wonderful people of the city and the many thrilling and familiar sights so well but omits the stinky air, traffic, crowds, and creeps. Still, I can't wait to go back.

Dogs and dappled light in the hutongs:


I love the insanity of Chinese fashion, forever and ever:


A young fan at the Black Rabbit music festival during Hanggai:

Gold Panda plays the festival:

Grandmaster Flash dominates the audience:


Exhibits at the Beijing Museum of Zoology:

(turtles all the way down?)

A cake in the shape of a Gucci purse selling for about 50 USD:


Man on a bus wearing a decidedly retro Seattle Supersonics jacket:


Food packed for a train journey:


A dumpling feast prepared by my friend and wunder-tailor Linda:

The strangely delicious lychee beer served at the meal:


Q, Yin, and Anna in various stages of scone-consumption/scone-anticipation:


My goddaughter Lucy intrigued and amused by what a strange red haired creature I am:

Lucy with her mother and maternal grandparents:

Lucy on the move:


An attempt to sow enmity among roommates Peter and Yin on my last night in town:

With a few of my fellow bosses at the Treehouse:

Plus Xiao Bao:


My last meal: pumpkin soup and turnip green steamed buns.

Sigh. Even the airport food is better in Beijing.

2 comments:

moxie said...

When do you take residence in Columbia City?

P.S. Love the airport food tray.

johnO said...

I want that tray