Saturday, March 21, 2009

HAIKUS ABOUT LOS ANGELES

Inspired by the magnificent Laura Etling and her happy hour haikus, I have composed a few poetic descriptions of my spring break experience in Los Angeles. Several were collaborations between my father and I, composed during our many hours in the car.

On St. Patrick's Day
Dive bar Guinness tap is broke
Hark, a repairman!

Sorry dear papa
You had bacon in your lunch
No more for today

Cars gleam in hot sun
Wisteria in the air
Who walks in L.A.?

Go slow go fast stop
Signaling is for pussies
Obey the freeway

In thrall to mammon
And on the hunt for vintage
Father, to Melrose!

Cars in front, behind
On and on and on and on
Hypnotic taillights

Gucci sunglasses
On latino landscaper
Rhinestones = caliente

In Los Angeles
I learned a life lesson
From the movie "Heat"

Returning from L.A. is always a little strange. It certainly isn't home, nor will it ever be, but having been there more than a dozen times over the last several decades it does have a certain familiarity and holds more than a few good memories. It is also an awkward transition going back to normal interactions after hanging out with my dad all week (if you've ever had the honor to meet him this will make perfect sense). I find myself insulting strangers (albeit playfully), wondering why no one is laughing at my Daffy Duck impersonation, and asking myself the kind of questions one is faced with over the course of a reasonably bad hangover: what did I do? did I really eat that? did I embarrass myself? why is "meatballs" written in sharpie on my hand? (okay, maybe I DO know the answer to that one) why was that guy wearing a joker costume? why am I so thirsty?


and yet, I know I'll do it all over again - not next weekend, but soon. I'll never learn my lesson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"the honor to meet him"?!?!

Panda-ing to me will not help (*insert evil cackles to taste*)...

Only the real cognescenti understand the Tommy's experience... thou hast finally been "baptized"...

hugs & love,
pops