I was hypnotized by the pen with an ultraviolet light that I bought on the train. Later, I used it to check the authenticity of all the bills in my wallet. Fun.
It was completely surreal to arrive in Gansu and be greeted by a long line of applauding schoolchildren.
Our reception at the second school was similarly overwhelming.
This chalkboard was a project of the school's top class English students. It reads:Have you ever had someone stare at you because you look different from them? Or have you had groups of people stare at you and laugh? Has anyone stared at you just because he or she wants to get to know you? In the west, this kind of behavior is considered very rude.The village:


The base of one of the heated Kang beds in Lao Zhang's house.The market in Linxia:


This dude was just standing there feeling up the mannequin for the longest time.
I would have killed for this outfit when I was 6.
The old man whose goat Rachel contemplated buying.
Looking out over Linxia from the temple on the hill.Taking and sharing pictures in a friendly little neighborhood:


Their local mosque:
Arabic lessons at a much larger mosque elsewhere in the city. The banner above the chalkboard reads: "please turn off your cell phone, unless its Allah calling", ok maybe not that last part.
Evening prayer

In and around Labrang Monastery in Xiahe:










Inside the cavernous library of wooden printing blocks, still very much in use today.Around the city of Xiahe:





Dan with Monkchkin.The ruins of Jiaohe city in Xinjiang:
Based on what the Chinese says, it appears they meant to say "No pissing".


Grapevines on the outskirts of Tulufan:



Lady construction workers, a not uncommon sight.Like the Buddhist caves outside Turpan, the caves of a 1,000 Buddhas had been desecrated by Red Guards during the Cultural Revolution. In addition, several of the murals had been removed completely by some German archaeologist douchebags in the early 1900s.
Still, they were beautiful:



Me and Dan outside the caves:
More flaming mountains:

The Turpan oasis:









Day and night markets in Tulufan:


The musical fountain provided a festive backdrop for dinner and beers.
After the show was over, a local policemen kept on eye on the crowds, resting beneath a neon sign that reads: "Scientific development, constructing harmony".
3 comments:
A child brandishing his daddy's pistol! Our people have so very much in common.
That kid is actually shooting at the sky out of frustration. He had Patrick Swayze in his sights, but he loved him so much he just couldn't kill em.
I wish I were as cool as you...
Is your address still the same, dear soul? Me wanna send-a you something.
Post a Comment