
So now I am here, at an incredible time, with what is perhaps a rare opportunity to cast light on a place and a historical moment... and I can't bring myself to do so, or at least not here. Part of this is that I don't really feel capable of doing an adequate and accurate job talking about what has been going on. I don't have the background, I don't have all the information, and I definitely don't have the time. Besides, I don't really see why I should bother, considering that a few of my dear readers have told me that they only look at the pictures (so you can blame them if you don't learn anything here).
On the road, which was thankfully unhindered by roadblocks:


A mosque stands out in the midst of an earth-colored town in a mountain valley.
The bus stops for a goat crossing (amazingly, they were unaccompanied and seemed to be willingly making their way back home after a day out foraging).
Upon arrival I was first struck by the barren topography and crisp high-altitude air. The monastery itself was beautiful and very quiet. It felt more like Tibet than what (according to some who've been) Tibet proper looks like these days.

We arrived just before morning prayer. A gaggle of monks in deep red-pink robes and saffron muppet-like hats responded to the call of a horn and, discarding their boots, entered the prayer hall.
Pilgrims completing their 108 circumambulations around the holy hall had to stop occasionally to kick the carelessly removed monk-boots out of their way.
There are still more than a thousand monks living at Labrang Monastery. I didn't expect there would be so many.Pilgrims taking a rest after making their rounds.
The sculptures below are made entirely out of Yak butter and various dyes. They are brought out for festivals and special occasions and are re-made about once a year after they slowly fall apart.
The level of detail was quite extraordinary.
And the rich buttery smell in the cool storage room was quite strong.In consequence I passed on the Yak butter tea at lunch and instead had a sort of chai made with Yak milk. It was tasty and rich.
After several hours at the monastery we went roaming around the town, talking to anyone and everyone we met.
At the river, we met a large group of schoolchildren being herded by a few teachers. They didn't have much to say about the current political climate in the town. But they were really cute.
From our wanderings through back streets and alleys.



Large digital images of government visions for renovation of the town, just a small part of the large-scale, long-term plan to "Open the West".







2 comments:
Well E to the KA, in your effort to not say anything you actually said a lot and it was nice. Though at the same time I don't think you have any sort of responsibility to do anything at all. So just keep doing whatever it is you want! It will be good. Though I do look forward to chatting with you about China upon your return.
Also, regarding the "relationship with China" thing, NPR's All Things Considered has been doing their show from China apparently in the region where the earthquake was bad (they were going to do it before the earthquake, just "good timing"). One of their reporters who has been in China for a long time, ten years or something, was speaking very frankly about the governments tactics regarding how they let the media cover the earthquake as opposed to how they let the media cover other things etc. How can he still be there and have good standing or contacts in the Chinese government which I assume he does? OK, maybe you can't answer that, but I thought it was interesting in light of your comments.
Nicely done, very nice "flavor" to the pictures & commentary. Some of the juxtapositions were very striking.
I wasn't so much concerned about any political content on your blog but rather wanted to point out that any blogosphere comments will be with you for decades... and some whippersnapper future grad student could easily sass you... ;-)
love,
pops
Post a Comment