The Place is a new shopping center in central Beijing which claims to have the largest LED screen in the world and uses it to dramatic effect by streaming scenes of either outer space or undersea. This was the part where we went hurtling towards the sun and the whole plaza was bathed in warm orange light.
Rather than inspiring childish wonder, China generally causes me raise my fists to the sky in a silent cry of "what is this fresh hell?" Thus, I felt I owed it to my poor brain and nervous system to visit The Place and be amused. Also, I totally wanted to go hang out at Starbucks.
The undersea part was very soothing. I especially liked when the life-size humpback whale went sailing above, although the Asian mermaid kind of creeped me out.
The Chinese name means something like "World of Heaven's Greatest Goods". I don't know what marketing genius decided to give it an English name that makes anyone who speaks of it sound like a simpleton in an Abbot & Costello sketch.Here are some 30-second clips of the streaming footage. Yes, that is me giggling in the background and saying aiya, zhen zaogao (oh no, how terrible!) as the asteroid came rushing towards us.
It was really cool. Thanks to my trend-scouting pops for hearing about it first!
7 comments:
mmmmmm Asian mermaid.
Have you seen the newish Aeon Flux movie? The woman that gives orders inside people's heads looks suspiciously like you.
FANTASTIC!!!!
Happy birthday!!!
What a world! Good to see our good friend, Cougar the explorer, is putting her best paw forward to see it all.
Hits and Misses, Moxie
BIRTHDAY GIRL. happy happy happy i m so happy you were born. i try to make blog so that you can peek into my existence as I peek into yours, but I am thwarted by the loss of wires and the pitfalls of time over scheduled. How I would love to share with you the pictures of our CSA or the Blanche dresses as a princess, killing a dolphin. someday.
Cool videos, glad you got some giggles & guffaws at the happening Place.
love,
pops
CougarDom: Quite Possibly the Best Blog on Earth.
"What is this fresh hell?!"
Hey, they're using Holdst's Mars: Bringer of War for......the Mars part! Someone should be eating a Mars bar too, then the cycle of overkill would be complete.
Post a Comment