Waiting for Jessica at the grocery store on Sunday I saw a young Chinese man wearing a purple camouflage hoodie with large letters printed on the front spelling out RAPE. I first tried to get Jessica's attention to ascertain whether she was left similarly speechless by the sight, but when I could not, I just stood and stared and wondered. What possible reason could there be for this item of clothing to exist? Here are a few I have considered:
A) It is an intentionally transgressive statement about war and sexual violence [see also Mackinnon 1990; Enloe 2003]
B) It was intended to read "GRAPE" but is missing a G / intended to read "RAP" but with an extra E.
C) It was produced and retailed by a native English speaker who likes to play sick jokes.
D) It was intended as consciousness-raising technique. This isn't as far out as you might imagine. A classmate and I in Ann Arbor were once aghast to see a young man wearing a t-shirt that read "I heart Michigan vaginas", but it turned out to be promoting a rape crisis hot line (although, come to think of it, that still doesn't entirely explain the sentiment).
E) It is an intentionally transgressive statement about consumerism and the plunder of natural resources.
Geez, I don't know. I'm so confused. Maybe a nice massage would help...


*a hutong is an old narrow alleyway lined with one-story brick buildings. It is the traditional type of housing in Beijing, but the majority have been razed to make way for wider streets and newer, taller buildings. They are now mostly home to Beijing's poorest residents and are sometimes used as shortcuts from the traffic-clogged, exhaust-polluted streets.
3 comments:
Fascinating...
I'm having a Homer moment - can you FedEx me a pizza with a donut topping?
hugs,
pops
perhaps its part of a weekday sweatshirt series:
Sunday: rape
Monday: pillage
Tuesday: arson
Wednesday: taunt
Thursday: theft
Friday: dismember
Saturday: nap
mb:
of course! thank you!
Post a Comment