Beijing isn't exactly the most welcoming city in the world but after one long, frenzied week I've got a little piece of it to call my own. The settling in will take a little while longer of course and I can't help but expect more complications. Modern China manages a remarkable combination of the bureaucratic excess of socialism and the rapaciousness of cutthroat capitalism so this last week has been a haze of filling in forms, waiting in lines, and trying to not get ripped off or involved in anything shady. I've been looking at apartments with a classmate while staying at the hotel closest to school and twice we actually checked out and stored our luggage, intending to move later that day, but both times the deal fell through. Third time's the charm I suppose, and we are starting to trust that we might actually stay in this new place. Although we ended up paying more than we had hoped and had to drop a roommate when we couldn't find any decent 3-bedrooms, the place we ended up in is excellent: on the 9th floor in a very new complex near a great neighborhood, huge, luxurious, and damn comfortable.
I wouldn't have thought of China as particularly energy consciousness, but surprisingly, many of the places we looked at this week had sound-activated lights in all the hallways. It seems that The Clapper is alive and well in China. You will be glad to know that the light outside our door responds not only to the clapping of hands and the stamping of feet but to burps of adequate volume. I think I'm going to like it here...
p.s. Turns out I can't view my blog from China but can still post to it. Your comments get sent to my e-mail address and I haven't yet figured out a way to respond to them, but please keep them up! I love thinking that I am writing to y'all directly rather than just posting to the vast and lonely interwebs.
4 comments:
Even better on the second post! Anyway, glad to hear you got through all the red commie tape. Basty and I miss you. Well, I can't really speak for Basty since he, like, a dog, but yeah.
China is stupid. While your blog does contain political dissidence at every turn, should it really be censored? Or is it simply that all of Blogger is censored? Probably the latter. Which is why Chinese readership of MY blog is so low. I hate China. I'm banning the Olympics. Done and done. Especially synchronized swimming.
Also,I think there are ways to use the RSS feed to get censored content. Maybe as simple as subscribing to the RSS feed? I'm not sure.
If you write back to me for advice, only write in our agreed upon secret code and include "hushpuppy stupid china" in the subject line.
Meanwhile, as you have little to no control over the comment section of your own blog, I'd like to recommend a great herbal supplement made from crushed dried black bear gallbladder and similarly crushed dried black tip shark fin that is extremely popular in China and will produce a giant cock on any man or woman in mere days. Want a bigger penis? TRY BEAR/SHARK SUPER CRUSH DRIED POWDER FOR GIANT COCK!
very best
Matt Dunn
Giant cock? I didn't read the whole comment from your friend there matthew d, I just saw giant cock and wanted to write it again.
I am glad that all those years of belch practice might finally pay off. good indeed.
Is there some in crowd thing I'm missing about big roosters?
There are workarounds to deal with the Great (Fire)W all of China - check into a concept called a proxy... or deputize someone to post responses that you send them via email.
hugs,
pops
Post a Comment