The east of Asia that is (yeah, I know I'm blowing all your minds with this multi-centric perspective). I arrived in Seattle on the morning of Monday the 13th, eight minutes before I left Taipei, thanks to the magic of international date-line crossing time traveling.
I spent just over a week in my hometown and am overwhelmed with all of the things to tell, but I arrived in L.A. yesterday and am now busy trying to choke down my loathing for this city and keeping my father from putting bacon in my oatmeal (Oh how I wish I was kidding). So this will be a brief roundup with many excellent pictures. Enjoy.So...... After going through immigration and convincing the dude at customs that I just really, really liked tea, my mother picked me up and we went out for lunch with my awesome little bro. I was happy to be reunited with them as well as with Skipper, the sweetest dog/polar bear hybrid in South Seattle.
Melissa picked me up from my mom's on Monday afternoon and we went straight to Montana and John's new pad, now known as Ninja HQ. I was rather the jet-lagged wastrel that evening, but Melissa was kind enough to make me a tasty stir-fry, which helped ease the continental transition. The next evening Montana and I ate sushi on her deck. I really don't deserve these good and kind people.
On Tuesday I got to hang out with my dear old friend Laura Etling, she of the powerful presence, sparkling conversation, and take-no-prisoners pipes. She also has rad red sunglasses which can start a party all by themselves.
After the next few days of pre-departure doctor's appointments and groggy socializing I was strangely excited to help Mark move on Thursday from House of Dudes to a cute new studio apartment. I had been promised a couch-moving and this I was denied, but I was easily placated by a home-cooked meal (thanks Jill!) and a visit to Mark's sister, the elusive and peripatetic Lieta. I had an appointment mid-afternoon for a haircut with Kitty Hawk, and she finished with a blow-dry that left me dramatically swishing my glossy mane for the rest of the day. After the haircut and the move, Mark and I met up with Montana and headed to the International District for an gallery opening. We couldn't decide if we were too cool for school,
or as excited as Japanese tourists,
to see pretentious art involving a woman in a harness bouncing up and down off of a large mound of dirt. I think we were a little of both.I had some work to do on Friday but later in the day met up with John for a pilgrimage to Easy Street Records and then with Emmy for a couple of drinks at the relocated and much-improved Cha Cha. Mark had kindly arranged a returning/departing get-together for me that evening at the Rosebud and thus I held court for several hours as all sorts of pals stopped in for a drink or three. I must give special recognition to Brendan, who came out to join us even though he had had ankle surgery that morning. Many, many pictures were taken. Here are some of my favorites:
John and Montana work an Engrish t-shirt in the foreground while Paul and Mark talk Turkey in the background
Emmy and Kirk (they really do like each other, promise)
See! I told you so!
Jose Bold, Rock Star Extraordinaire
I keep telling Montana she has a real flair for the dramatic
I had a lovely time, but Mark seemed a little disappointed by the lack of under-aged assThanks also to Joanna, Lieta, Mike, Evan, Laura and Mark H., for showing me such a good time.
Saturday was probably my favorite day of the trip. The weather was beautiful -- though actually the weather was perfect almost every day of the trip and I couldn't stop gazing at the clouds and the mountains and all the clean, clear air:
Anyhow, it was an ideal day for a trip out to Bainbridge Island to visit the August Moon Teahouse and deliver the Bao Zhong tea I brought from Taiwan. Montana developed a strange obsession with the box of tea on the ferry ride over and in order to distract her from chucking it overboard in a patriotic fervor I indulged her with participation in hijinks and photographs.




The August Moon wasn't open when I left town and I was so happy to see it finished. Had I more time during this trip I am sure I would have made a few more visits to sample more of the teas and snacks Alia has put together and to just relax or read. I dream that someday I will be able to sit on the patio of the teahouse overlooking Eagle Harbor and work on my dissertation.Luckily it wasn't very busy when we came in and so I got to catch up with Alia and introduce her and Montana. We all tasted the tea I brought and then Miss di Limonada and I shared some Hao Ya and Thai Tulsi and nibbled on one sweet and one savory scone.

Alia's son Franklin took this picture of the two of us with Alia and her mother in the background.
The hours flew by as the cups and pots were emptied and we were giddily happy and plenty goofy on the ferry back to Seattle.
On Sunday I had brunch with my very pregnant and very lovely friend Stephanie, than spent the afternoon hanging out at my mom's and re-packing for the next 10-11 months. That evening was the second of the gatherings Mark planned for me, this one held at the swanky Sun Liquor. I was glad that a few people who couldn't make Friday were able to come out. I enjoyed Rachel's stories and drink advice and I was glad that the D.S. showed up so he could dominate, er, I mean enliven the event.

He's a sneaky one that Dave, but I must say he looked quite nice in the "Meep" mask I brought back from Taiwan.Sunday was great, and really the whole damn weekend was grand. Monday was good too, but does anyone still care about Monday at this point? I'm tired and rather tired of myself too. So much for keeping things brief. I just got too much love for y'all.
I'll be back to more regular posts soon. Until then, here is a picture of two of my favorite Monday night dates, Melissa and Ben the bunny.
5 comments:
i see you swidler!
I need a meep mask. I can't keep up with all your adventures. It wears these old bones out just reading about them.
hullo couger! tiger here. good to see you in Seattle. i enjoyed your stories, too and am looking forward to reading more about China hijinks via your blog.
or perhaps in China they are hi-junks?
Oh my goodness. Oh my oh my, that sure made me heartsick and happy all at the same time. Montana is hot, as is Laura Etling. Josebold's long hair makes me giggle. Marxiano is as pouty as I remember him, and YOU my dear, are radiant. I'm sad I couldn't be in Sea-town to see your lovely face. I would have made you take me to the tea shop and score me some hum-bows and green tea ice-cream.
Hey, where are you? You're not in your room...er, lounge.
Post a Comment