Wednesday, August 8, 2007

ENGRISH (especially for Jessica)

I wasn't going to eat this, but then... there was nothing else to do....

Back in B'ton Jessie and I spent many a happy hour looking at the weird translations at engrish.com and in that spirit I have been doing some collecting over the last few months. Of course the best engrish is always fleeting (one favorite was the woman wearing a "girly chud" t-shirt) and for every time I am camera-ready there are a dozen more times when I am without (as with a shirt announcing "The Socks and Cocks Show"), but I hope this will give you a taste of all the absurdity that assaults the native English-speaker here.

No? but it looks so hungry! [from the bathroom at my school]

I'm not afraid of growing old, but this does make me a little apprehensive (the small print on the borders reads "It is your life of darkness") [from a bar near Taidian MRT]

What a disappointment! This article totally wasn't what I thought it would be [from Cosmopolitan Taiwan]

If you say so, but it sounds kind of painful [from Ximending]

I was going to argue, but then I realized the logic was impeccable (the small print reads "Hunger is the best sauce")

I like these so much better than those Emo Sour Cream and Onion ones [from Carrefour]

I realize there is some sort of urban-outfitters-type-irony going on here, but still...

This isn't really Engrish, but I find it quite amusing that the books in the foreground are Complete Dental Prosthodontics and Interior Plantscaping - just a little light reading for a Nescafe Afternoon [from Yuanshan station]

That sounds like me all right, and it looks like my Adventures in Engrish are only beginning... [from my new school in mainland China]

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad that in China looking for decent student housing is "morally-uplifting". It really is a whole different world over there.

Anonymous said...

You vade meccum!

Hilarious.

I like the term Chinglish, Engrish is good too. But c'mon Chinglish is way more specific. That's what they called it on CNN.

erika said...

Screw CNN. There is nothing uniquely Chinese about weird English translations, they just make more stuff that features them. Engrish is a far more accurate term for the phenomenon, and Chinglish should be reserved for actual blendings of Chinese and English, such as when my roommate says: "do you want to go to the 公园 to 喝啤酒?"

CNN will regret this misuse. Mark my words.